News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

Formula 1 Circuits

Started by Penfold, March 03, 2017, 03:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penfold

Hopefully the 2021 rules will make modern GP racing suitable for old-style tracks.

Now, what we still really want to know is which two tracks are being shown the door for 2020.  Assuming that a deal is done to keep Blighty on the calendar, which of the remaining contenders (Spain, Germany, and Mexico) has the least shallow pockets with which to entice Liberty?
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

I will tell you. These numbers are certain, not at all estimates by me.

Chance of remaining on the 2020 calendar:
Silverstone - 90%
Barcelona - 60%
Hockenheim - 45%
Mexico - 5%

So in other words, I think we will lose Hockenheim to Zandvoort and Mexico to Hanoi. In theory, we could lose Mexico and Silverstone, but I find that unlikely.

And I guess that would give this calendar:

Australia
Bahrain
China
Vietnam
Spain
Monaco
Netherlands
Canada
France
Austria
Britain
Hungary
Belgium
Italy
Singapore
Azerbaijan
Russia
Japan
USA
Brazil
Abu Dhabi

21 races. I moved Azerbaijan from spring to fall, to make room for Vietnam in Asia.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Penfold

Gets the thumbs up from me.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

The Zandvoort Circuit will undergo a number of key changes in order to host the Dutch Formula One Grand Prix in 2020, event sporting director and former F1 driver Jan Lammers has confirmed today.

Speaking at the press conference announcing the race was returning to Zandvoort after a 35 year gap, Lammers described how the circuit configuration will be changed to meet F1 standards.

He told reporters: "The start/finish line will be brought forward a little bit towards Tarzan to ensure that the grid is clearly visible from the main grandstand," said Lammers.

"The exit of Gerlachtbocht will be widened for safety reasons, and the Hugenholtzbocht will be widened on the inside to allow more space and allow higher speeds going towards Scheivlak.

"Then we get to the Hans Ernst Bocht, of which the second part will be shortened and widened to improve flow through the corner and reduce its stop-start character and increase speeds.

"The Arie Luyendijkbocht, formerly known as Bosuit, that will be modified and slightly banked to permit full-throttle through there. This will make it similar to the final part of Brazil, where you can go through with open DRS. It won't be easy, but possible, I think."

Plus map for reference:

"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Chrill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Roznaae7J5M

Well this looks incredibly narrow, especially the first half of the lap. Honestly, Zandvoort needs to be updated heavily in order to suit F1. Can it be done without completely wrecking? I see why you are now concerned, Penny.

Matt

I see maybe 1.5 passing zones. The end of the front straight and then maybe into Hans Ernst Bocht.

Aero has destroyed racing everywhere. The cars are way too stuck, which makes it impossible to get runs on people, not to mention the aero wash problem. Power needs to exceed grip. Lose the super wide tires, lose the super long cars, cut the areas for aero development. Make the cars edgy again. It doesn't matter if the lap time is slower because cars that are stuck look slower than cars that aren't anyway, and far less spectacular. I think this is part of why people have such high regard for drivers like Senna. Even the best cars moved all over the place and looked hard to drive. In contrast, even the worst car today looks smooth almost everywhere.

Kind of got away from the topic at hand, but the point is that cars that can't race won't put on a good show anywhere, Zandvoort or otherwise.

Chrill

I really don't mind the super wide tyres, they are part of making the cars look aggressive. The aerodynamics is the issue. The 2021 regulations, unless they become too watered out due to teams arguing, will rectify it.

Penfold

Hopefully the 2021 regs. will be immune from the teams' lobbying efforts.  Budget cap is another matter.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

The 2021 regs will definitely not be immune. This is F1 after all.

Penfold

Fair point.  I'd settle for largely immune. 
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Here is an unofficial interpretation of the changes suggested yesterday to Zandvoort.

Penfold

Seems okay.  Tweaks rather than wholescale changes: essentially re-profiling two corners and adding some banking to a third, all in the name of allowing higher speeds - and for safety in the widening of Gerlachtbocht.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

I would have preferred a start/finish line further back, if anything. That would allow a longer run to the first corner. However, assuming one can follow through Hans Ernst, the start/finish could well lead to overtakes courtesy of using DRS through the final banked turn.

Chrill

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/zandvoort-banked-corner-overtaking/4390065/

No word on ruining the run-offs with large swathes of tarmac, instead saying that the unforgiving nature of Zandvoort adds to the spectacle as it does in Baku or Monaco.

Penfold

I hope they stick to that.  Interesting comment about how short pit-stops will be - unless you drive for Toro Rosso - and that this might encourage teams to make an extra stop.

Meant to post that Liberty Media has been chatting to people in Morocco about the potential for a race.  Obviously still early days but it could be an interesting addition.  Clicky link thing: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/48299978
- Chrill (28/09/2018)