News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

The 2017 Season

Started by Penfold, March 03, 2017, 01:08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrill

While in general I agree with those ratings, I would like to rate some of these differently. Which I will do. Later. When I can be bothered.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Penfold

"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Oh what a race we were treated to in Bahrain tonight. Great stuff. I love how respectful Hamilton is of both Vettel and Bottas. He really appears as though he'd prefer to be P2 behind Vettel than P1 over Rosberg. He is enjoying these battles, although this race wasn't his greatest.

Without the SC, Ferrari would surely have won. With the SC, Hamilton had a shot and messed it up. He would have exited behind Ricciardo no matter what, so trying to slow him down did him no good. Ferrari were lucky that Bottas had a slow stop. Great stuff from Vettel to keep Bottas behind on restart. Honorable mention to Perez for reaching P7 from a lowly 18th on the grid.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Penfold

I'm loving this season.  Obviously the fight between Ferrari & Merc (well, Seb & Hammy) is a joy to behold after the last few seasons of silver supremacy; but more generally I'm just enjoying these fabulous cars from an aesthetic standpoint, their ability to follow each other without eating the tyres (and so work up to an overtake), and the fact that DRS isn't the all-powerful beast of recent years.  The only negative for me is to see Alonso forced into heroic battles with the Palmers, Kvyats, and Ericssons of this world because Honda has yet to build a half-decent engine.

Edit: Carlos Sainz - 'Muppet of the race' award for ploughing into Stroll and then blaming it all on Lance because he had the temerity to turn into the corner!  Carlos will not be getting a good score out of ten... I'm thinking somewhere below three.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Oh, thank God, the FIA will not be tinkering with DRS to further aid overtaking: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/04/24/no-drs-changes-planned-2017/
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Very good. DRS is actually pretty well balanced. Or so it has appeared in these first 3 races.

Penfold

Sochi will be pleasantly warm this weekend, which hopefully will aid the red cars on what is regarded as a Merc. track: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/04/27/2017-russian-grand-prix-weather/
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

I dont mind that. I am half expecting a Merc 1-2, but the warmer it gets the better chance Vettel will have of making it up there. Kimi is probably finishing 4th. He's very likely to. Unless of course he races like himself. In which case maybe P5-7 is more likely.

Penfold

People expecting a one-stopper but warmer track temps might cause a few problems and give us that added bit of intrigue.  I'm thinking Seb manages to grab second ahead of Val and Max relegates Kimi to P5.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

If we are borderline one stopping, Ferrari will one stop and Mercedes will do just like in Bahrain, that is two stopping and trying to catch the prancing horse. Who knows, maybe its a Vettel weekend once more?

Chrill

If FP2 was anything to go on, their long runs seem about the same (a little less deterioration for Ferrari) but their one lap pace differs. Mercedes just couldn't switch on the ultra softs. Ferrari were .7 of a second faster than Lewis and Bottas.

Penfold

Was great to see, but I'm sure Merc will have it all dialled in by quali.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

FP3 and still looking good for Ferrari so I expect to see Lewis on pole....
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Hah. Double Ferrari, first time since 2008. Loving it

Matt

Kind of off topic, but we've had an IndyCar topic in the past and it couldn't sustain itself. Plus it's Alonso anyway.

Alonso got his first laps at Indy today, getting over 220mph relatively quickly. I love the helmet. The livery is a throwback, obviously, and is nice. I would've liked a bit more detail, something between the F1 car and this. But whatever.