Main Menu

2019 Season - Rate the Drivers

Started by Chrill, March 17, 2019, 01:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penfold

Here goes nothing.

Germany:

Merc:
Hammy - 4 - Illness & the team taking a minute to find him a set of inters didn't help his cause, but the crash was even less helpful.
Val - 3 - Only the one mistake but also seemed pretty sluggish all race.

Ferrari:
Seb - 8 - A steady but unspectacular drive, buoyed by safety cars galore and rivals throwing themselves off the track. 
'It is I' - 3 - Not steady, definitely not spectacular.  Multiple errors at the same corner.

Red Bull:
Greasy Peril - 4 - Damn, once again forgot how to drive.  To be fair (ish), the Albon crash was poor luck - rest of the race was just poor.
Max - 10 - I'm beginning to think this kid may have a future in the sport....

Renault:
Ricky Hairdo - X - Out too early to rate.
Hulk - 5 - Out too early to get a high rating.  Ran impressively until he ran into a wall.

Haas:
Big Jean - 7 - Just for getting to the end in these conditions.  Added bonus that he and Magnus only had the one light piece of contact.
Son of Magnus - 7 - Made it to the end, only a little nibble with Romain.  Amazing that teammates not smashing into each other is a noteworthy event.

McLaren:
Chuck Norris - 5 - Car died early but he didn't look too special up to then.
Rally Guy's Son - 8 - Off-road adventure cost him a chunk of time, possibly a podium, and a one point deduction from me.

Racing Point:
Perez - 3 - Oops.  Again.
The Stroller - 8 - No oops.  Nothing remarkable apart from the team getting him into the pits early for that crucial last tyre change.

Alfauber:
Kimi - 7 - Made it to the end and got zero reward.  Bet he wishes he hadn't bothered.
Adam Ant - 6 - Passable impression of an F1 driver.

Toro Rosso:
Blur - 8 - Better drive than Kvyat, but timing of final pit-stop and that Lewis overtake attempt proved costly.
The Torpedo - 8 - Much like Stroll, not a magnificent drive but team pulled him into pits at the right time.

Williams: (Feel they've fractionally closed the gap to the other teams)
Jack - 7 - Late mistake knocked him behind Kubica.  Could've been pitted on same lap as Stroll if team had listened to his advice.
One-Armed Bandit - 8 - What a time to finish ahead of Russell.  Eight years since he last scored in F1 - a new record for time between points.
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Quote from: Chrill on July 29, 2019, 07:10:46 AM
Germany. Anyone finishing without crashing into someone else or a barrier is likely to score at least 7, I'd think.

Proceeds to give Giovinazzi five points....
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

5 for Toni? That seems unfair. Maybe 6. I'll revisit.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Penfold

Leaves Giovinazzi with five points.  Poor bloke, probably his least-bad drive of the season.

Edit: Forgot about his decent effort in Austria. 
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Oh I will have to update the lovely document now, to reflect the change at Red Bull. Grr.

Spa, then. Belgium.

Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport:
Lewis Hamilton - 8/10 (He did what he could, made few mistakes apart from the rare lockup, but didn't have enough laps to catch Leclerc)
Valtteri Bottas - 7/10 (Like Hamilton but slower)

Scuderia Ferrari:
Sebastian Vettel - 6/10 (Ate his tyres, and was forced to run a two-stopper in order to even finish. Ended up helping Ferrari in a very Barrichello-esque manner)
Charles Leclerc - 9/10 (Led from start to finish, except for the pits. It got a bit scary at the end with all the lapped cars bringing Hamilton into contention, but Leclerc delivered under pressure. Well done)

Aston Martin Red Bull Racing:
Alexander Albon - 8/10 (That's not bad at your debut, is it? He brought it home in P5, would have been P6 had it not been for Norris. 8/10 courtesy of being meant to finish behind one midfield runner)
Max Verstappen - X/10 (I haven't yet decided whether I blame Max for the start crash or not, so I may come back and give him a low score) 3/10

Renault F1 Team:
Daniel Ricciardo - 8/10 (Fought valiantly with a severely damaged car, and ran a ridiculous stint)
Nico Hülkenberg - 7/10 (Solid midfield run)

Rich Energy Haas F1 Team:
Romain Grosjean - 5/10 (He looked the stronger Haas for most of the race, so I don't know what he is doing down behind Magnussen at the end of this)
Kevin Magnussen - 5/10 (Like Grosjean, but slower, but still ahead. So eh, I'll score them similarly)

McLaren F1 Team:
Lando Norris - 10/10 (Pretty much a perfect race. P11 -> P5 at the start, benefitting cleverly from the mayhem in front of him. Then, he just ran on his own all race before retiring on Lap 44 of 44. That is awful)
Carlos Sainz Jr. - X/10 (He didn't run for very long, did he now)

SportPesa Racing Point F1 Team:
Sergio Perez - 8/10 (A new 3-year deal confirmed, and one can see why. Very solid driver, there to pick up the pieces when others faltered)
Lance Stroll - 6/10 (Not as strong, but he did bag a point so there's that)

Alfa Romeo Racing:
Kimi Räikkönen - 5/10 (It just wasn't in him here. Maybe his left leg limited him more than Alfauber expected, or maybe it was all due to damage from Verstappen? We don't know, but the fact is he only just beat the Williams of Robert Kubica and finished behind Russell)
Antonio Giovinazzi - 7/10 (Looked brilliant all race, some LOVELY overtakes, and then... yeah... He did what he would do, cracked under pressure and finished dead last. Deducting 2 for that end crash)

Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda:
Pierre Gasly - 7/10 (That wasn't too bad, was it? He did not beat his team mate, but he brought it home nicely to extend his points lead in what is now the midfield. Formula 1.5, if you will)
Daniil Kvyat - 8/10 (Really solid drive, battled with Albon for a while and kept it clean just like they did in Hungaroring. Impressive)

ROKiT Williams Racing:
George Russell - 8/10 (Not horribly far behind the rest!)
Robert Kubica - 7/10 (Not horribly far behind the rest, but still behind Russell)
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Chrill

Alright, I feel like the document is fixed now. I've simply added a new row to the "grid", so all the Red Bull and Toro Rosso drivers will now be entered on a different row. I've also updated the Driver Comparison and Compiled Ratings pages to reflect this, so that for example Alexander Albon's total reflects his ratings both for Toro Rosso and for Red Bull.

Penfold

Seven points for the Ant... no way will I be that generous!
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

I cannot please you when it comes to Giovinazzi, can I? He was on course for a 9 after some brilliant overtakes, and then I deducted 2 for the crasherino.

Penfold

It's just that such self-inflicted wounds are penalized more heavily under the Penfold Scoring System.

I'll post my scores tomorrow morning.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Matt

Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport:
Lewis Hamilton - 8/10
Valtteri Bottas - 7/10

Scuderia Ferrari:
Sebastian Vettel - 7/10 (Did fine. Seemed to follow what the team's strategy was by undercutting everyone, but then the tires were gone. Still managed to hold up Hamilton by several seconds)
Charles Leclerc - 9/10

Aston Martin Red Bull Racing:
Alexander Albon - 8/10
Max Verstappen - 1/10

Renault F1 Team:
Daniel Ricciardo - 8/10
Nico Hülkenberg - 7/10

Rich Energy Haas F1 Team:
Romain Grosjean - 6/10
Kevin Magnussen - 6/10

McLaren F1 Team:
Lando Norris - 9/10
Carlos Sainz Jr. - X/10

SportPesa Racing Point F1 Team:
Sergio Perez - 9/10
Lance Stroll - 7/10

Alfa Romeo Racing:
Kimi Räikkönen - X/10
Antonio Giovinazzi - 2/10

Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda:
Pierre Gasly - 7/10
Daniil Kvyat - 8/10

ROKiT Williams Racing:
George Russell - 8/10
Robert Kubica - 7/10

Chrill

Well thank you then.

I see you did go down the "That was Verstappen's fault" route. I may join you, not sure yet.

Penfold

Spa:

Merc:
Hammy - 9 - Ran well all race, surely extracted as much from his car as did Leclerc from the Ferrari.
Val - 7 - Couldn't extract as much from his Merc.

Ferrari:
Seb - 7 - Heavy on the tyres; really should've had both Ferraris on the podium.
'It is I' - 9 - Thrilled this guy got his maiden victory.  Excellent qualifying lap and then a good, clean run on Sunday.

Red Bull:
Blur - 7 - Decent first outing in the Red Bull.  Would've scored higher but he would've ended behind Norris and was barely ahead of Perez & Kvyat.
Max - 2 - Shooting yourself down the inside at La Source on lap one is an almost guaranteed crash.

Renault:
Ricky Hairdo - 8 - A damaged car and tyres that couldn't quite make it.
Hulk - 7 - Reasonable outing but nothing more.

Haas:
Big Jean - 6 - Vagaries of the car make it tricky to score the Haas duo.  Like Chrill, not entirely sure why Romain ended behind KMag.
Son of Magnus - 6 - Slower of the pair but somehow finished higher. 

McLaren:
Chuck Norris - 9 - So this is how Renault plans to beat their customer team - unexplained engine failures.
Rally Guy's Son - X - The Renault boys got him early....

Racing Point:
Perez - 9 - Couldn't ask for much more.
The Stroller - 7 - Not miles behind Perez.

Alfauber:
Kimi - X - Too much damage to really judge his efforts.
Adam Ant - 4 - It was going great, or at least pretty damn good, but then he threw it all away.

Toro Rosso:
Greasy Peril - 7 - Okay.  Not too far off Daniil but will need to be closer to him (and sometimes ahead) before the season ends.
The Torpedo - 9 - I think that was as solid as Perez's effort, ended only a few seconds behind the Racing Point.

Williams: (Feel they've fractionally closed the gap to the other teams)
Jack - 7 - Another team I have difficulty in scoring.  Seemed a solid effort.
One-Armed Bandit - 6 - Slightly less solid.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Alright, thank you all for that.

With the changing of the Bulls, I also took the opportunity to hide M4A1Carbine from the Google Document. We now know that Matt rates the drivers highest in 10 cases, I do so in 8 cases, and Penfold only in 2.

I seem more willing to rate in extremes, Matt seems more willing to go the middle road. This is highlighted by Matt rating the bottom drivers higher than we do, but not keeping up with the top drivers.

Max Verstappen is rated 8.273 by me, 8.000 by Penfold, 7.714 by Matt.
Kevin Magnussen is rated 4.750 by me, 4.917 by Penfold, 6.429 by Matt. (He is also the driver with the most uneven rating)
The driver with the most even rating is Sebastian Vettel. He is rated 6.833 by me, 6.750 by Penfold, 6.857 by Matt.
The lowest score any driver has is a 4.583 for Giovinazzi, according to Penfold.
The highest score any driver has is a 8.273 for Verstappen, according to me.

In terms of the standings, we only have one change really Kimi moves from P5 to P9 courtesy of some strong drives from others. Norris (P6->P5), Kvyat (P8->P6), Russell (remains in P7) and Albon (P9->P8) overtake the Finn.

All the stats are here, as they usually are:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-Rxe6H3eT-KVxM4PhgIm6tqr3KmT7clMTWRI7jdBsec/edit?usp=sharing

Chrill

Hey!

I also managed to reinstate the Team Comparison page, finally now working. It was a hassle. Just look at this snippet which calculates the average rating of all Red Bull drivers:

=IFERROR(AVERAGE(Chrill!C7:W7,Penfold!C7:W7,M4A1Carbine!C7:W7,Matt!C7:W7,Chrill!C8:W8,Penfold!C8:W8,M4A1Carbine!C8:W8,Matt!C8:W8,Chrill!C9:W9,Penfold!C9:W9,M4A1Carbine!C9:W9,Matt!C9:W9,Chrill!C10:W10,Penfold!C10:W10,M4A1Carbine!C10:W10,Matt!C10:W10),"N/A")

That gives us the average of every single driver for every single one of us, explaining why there are 4 Chrill and 4 Penfold and so on.

All in all, the best driver pairing so far this year is McLaren on 7.460 (Sainz 7.625, Norris 7.308). The worst driver pairing, no surprise, is Haas on 5.441 (Grosjean 5.714, Magnussen 5.194).

I am working on updating our individual team ratings, so I'll return with those soon.